Technical Lead (Online Banking)
Working from home / Occasional travel to Manchester office
35 hours per week, full time
About the role:
As a Technical Lead you will have the responsibility to lead a team of software developers, developing best practice and delivering client-side code for our public-facing customer channels, building new features and launching new platforms. Working in an Agile environment, you will have the opportunity to liaise with senior stakeholders in Digital and across the bank, acting as the subject matter expert for our client-side applications.
* Technical Lead for the front-end software development team in delivering high quality, robust and testable code that meets our coding standards policies
* Design solutions in accordance with the banks design principles and conventions and actively engage and collaborate on web design best practices and champion change in this area
* Act as a subject matter expert for our client-side applications, accountable for efficiency-focused design that serves to ensure that all code is highly reusable and modular
* Mentor colleagues providing advice and guidance on best practice and development techniques
* Identify and communicate technical requirements
* Create and maintain solution documentation and coding standards
* Communicate with suppliers on software related issues, suggested improvements and participating with other users in the relevant software communities
* Work within Scrum methodology, communicating any identified risks and issues to the Product Owner / Scrum Master accordingly
* Supporting the Operational Teams during the testing, rollout phases and incident/problem mgmt.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
* Strong experience leading development teams in a large complex environment
* Extensive experience of design and development of large scale, high-volume secure websites
Strong HTML and CSS (inc experience with SASS/LESS*)
Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD*)
Experience with front-end test automation (Jasmine, Selenium etc*)
Experience with front-end build tools (NPM, Grunt, Gulp*)
Experience with code and artefact repositories (GitLab, SVN, Artifactory, Nexus, Jenkins*)
Experience of Docker Containers, Kubernetes and building CI/CD Pipelines*
* Solid understanding of web application development processes
* Strong object oriented programming knowledge and knowledge of good design patterns
* Experience working in an Agile/DevOps software development environment
* The aptitude to contribute to the evolution of methodologies and procedures in a controlled manner to continually improve a rapid and repeatable delivery channel
* The ability to learn quickly and progress rapidly from theoretical exercises to real world delivery and mentoring tasks
* Good communication skills with the ability to present technical details to a non-technical audience
* A self-starter who delivers high quality work and can adapt to new challenges, either on their own or as part of a team
* Ability and confidence to effectively challenge peers, internal customers and requirements where necessary
* Ability to challenge working practices and to recommend alternative ways of working using different techniques and matching developer skills to development activity
* A track record in training and mentoring individuals on development and delivery disciplines
* Ability to identify skills and knowledge gaps in others and to provide workable training and development opportunities for individuals
What You Can Expect From Us:
* Flexible and remote working
* 27 days holiday, plus opportunity to buy 5 extra days
* Competitive pension / income protection / life assurance
* Positive, friendly work culture that promotes work life balance
* Commitment from employers on continued learning & development
* Wellbeing support ‘Help@Hand’ offers mental health support, physiotherapy, GP’s for both you and your family.
* 2 paid days for volunteering per year
* ‘MyReward’ corporate discount for over 800 retailers and Cycle to Work Scheme.
* Family friendly policies and supportive working environment
* Recognition scheme and a culture in which we celebrate success
* Colleague network groups committed to inclusion and diversity within our Bank.
This role won’t be around for long, so we would advise to get your application to us as soon as possible by applying today. Unfortunately, we can only consider candidates with the right to work in the UK at this time.
Our Bank is committed to continuing to create a diverse workforce and an inclusive environment where all colleagues can fulfil their potential. We welcome applications from talented individuals from all backgrounds and lifestyles who can work with us in maintaining a culture of belonging, where people are valued and respected. If you have a disability as defined by the 2010 equality act please let us know on your application.
As a reputable employer regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, all offers of employment for this role are subject to a series of background checks, including criminal (DBS) and financial checks.