Underwriter (Mortgages & Unsecured Lending)
Monday – Friday
Open to flexible working
Do you want a career where you are a key decision maker? Are you able to calculate risks and make sound customer decisions? 2021 is an exciting time to join the Co-operative Bank with new products and mortgages coming to market. You will be joining a successful Retail Credit Underwriting team that has the expertise to meet the needs of our customers. If you have underwriting experience in the near prime market, this role provides a fantastic opportunity to grow this new proposition with us.
This role will focus on ensuring that we deliver appropriate customer outcomes, in line with the Banks ethical values, vision and risk appetite. The role holder will underwrite niche applications & be a part of the decision making on the bank’s risk appetite for niche products.
We are looking for candidates that have solid Mortgage knowledge & a background in the prime market
What will this role involve?
* Ensuring the delivery of appropriate Customer outcomes, in a timely manner, with reference to the Banks credit appetite, policies, procedures and guidelines
* Where lending outside standard policy, ensures evidence that a risk based assessment has been undertaken, showing application of appropriate judgement and decision making skills
* Ensuring that regulatory principles (Financial Conduct Authority, Responsible Lending) are supported in all decision making
* Is at ease in a culture which empowers you to engage, advise, assist, inform, challenge and solution for Customers and Colleagues while taking personal responsibility for decisions made within mandate
* Is aware of the need to ensure service delivery to Customers within agreed SLAs. Contributes ideas as to how processes could be improved to deliver better outcomes
What will you need?
* Proven time management and prioritisation skills to ensure Customer lending decisions receive timely and thorough consideration
* Solid background & understanding of the near prime/prime mortgage market
* Experience in handling cases outside prime criteria and making risk based decisions independently
* Ability to assess and handle complex data, draw conclusions, explain and make solid coherent decisions
* Ability to think creatively, spot/develop commercial opportunities and problem solve
* Strong stakeholder and customer communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to have challenging conversations while also building strong durable relationships and influencing both internally and externally
What can you expect from us?
* A chance to learn from a highly successful Retail Credit Underwriting team
* Clear routes to progression with investment in your training and development
* Home working and flexible working opportunities
* 27 days holiday at start, increasing to 30 days
* Variety of colleague benefits including discount scheme, competitive pension / life assurance, volunteering day, recognition scheme
* Family friendly policies and supportive working environment
* Colleague network groups committed to inclusion and diversity within our Bank.
This role won’t be around for long, so we would advise to get your application to us as soon as possible by applying today. Unfortunately, we can only consider candidates with the right to work in the UK at this time.
Our Bank is committed to continuing to create a diverse workforce and an inclusive environment where all colleagues can fulfil their potential. If you have a disability as defined by the 2010 equality act please let us know on your application.
As a reputable employer regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, all offers of employment for this role are subject to a series of background checks, including criminal (DBS) and financial checks.
Please note we may withdraw this vacancy once sufficient applications have been reached.