SME Corporate Credit Risk Manager
Hiring Manager: Carol Kyle
The role exists to bring specialist credit risk knowledge and expertise to the overview of strategy, processes and actions within SME Corporate Banking and Legacy non-core portfolios, across the full credit lifecycle. The role holder will lead and support various credit risk activities across each of the stages in that lifecycle from product design, through to customer acquisition, customer management and arrears management.
The role holder will be the key source of reference for all 3 lines of defence regarding Regulatory and Horizon scanning concerns that affect Corporate customers; liaising with Regulatory and Compliance colleagues to ensure good design outcomes.
What will you need?
* Credit risk management experience including in a role involving support and challenge of 1st line teams with responsibility for sales and profit growth
* Extensive experience of working with regulation and translating it into operational policies and processes, in particular experience required in applying regulation to the management of high risk customers, including arrears management, forbearance and default reporting within an irb context
* Ideally experience of working in an underwriting or customer facing role with a lending decision mandate
* Understanding of risks associated with the full range of corporate products and experience of working with a products team
* Experience of a key role within change activities, including interaction with a range of 1st and 2nd line stakeholders
* Knowledge of the impact of ifrs9 on the credit process and experience of incorporating ifrs9 impacts in the credit process
* The role holder will have an important role in applying specialist SME corporate credit risk knowledge across a full range of corporate customer types and products, and will be able to support and challenge the product team to ensure understanding of credit risk for existing and proposed new products
* The role holder will play a key part in presenting to Credit Risk Oversight Committee, and owning the Credit Risk and Watchlist & Default Forum processes.
* The role holder will be experienced in working with change activity relating to SME corporate credit risk, including shaping credit risk strategy in conjunction with 1st line and providing SME input into strategic planning initiatives.
* The role holder will own the RCSA process for SME credit risk, working alongside other Risk colleagues.
* The role holder will have line management responsibility for the SME Credit Risk Analyst and will have a dotted line responsibility for the Senior Credit Risk Analyst responsible for data and MI relating to credit risk strategy setting and monitoring.
* Further development of the SME Corporate Credit Risk Management Framework will be a key part of the role, as part of a response to a renewed growth focus in this market. A large part of this work will include ownership of the Key Credit Criteria for target sectors, sector appetite overviews and the setting and monitoring of sector caps.
* The development of policies and control standards concerning the management of Watch list, default and forbearance scenarios is an ongoing area of focus. Extensive knowledge of regulation and the challenge of delivering this in an operational environment is required to support with this work.
* The role holder will need to establish a new QC/QA approach to ensure that sound lending decisions are made by mandate holders, appropriate forbearance decisions are agreed with customers by both 1st and 2nd line teams and the correct application of the Definition of Default can be evidenced.
* The role holder will be required to feed into and support the 1st Line Training and Competence framework, both as new change work and new regulation impact operations and also in seeking to mitigate issues that have been identified via the Credit Skills and Credit Stewardship logs.
* The role will involve ad hoc interaction with 1st and 2nd line SME colleagues at all levels, with an expectation of being able to provide advice and guidance to those colleagues, as well as constructive feedback relating to the decisions that they have made.
* Sector and regulatory horizon scanning will be a key part of the role and so external relationships with professional firms will be a requirement, as will an ability to recognise sector risks arising, which then trigger the need to update Key Credit Criteria and Policy and Control Standards. Thereafter, there will be a need to provide guidance and oversight of 1st line processes and training to ensure that they meet all requirements.
* Role holder will need to work with the other Corporate SME Credit Risk teams including the Data and Analytics team, the Underwriting team and the Recoveries and Collections team. In addition, there will be a need to work closely with the Models and Capital Planning teams, the Product team, and customer facing colleagues.
We may only consider candidates with the right to work in the UK at this time.
Our Bank is committed to continuing to create a diverse workforce and an inclusive environment where all colleagues can fulfil their potential. If you have a disability as defined by the 2010 equality act please let us know on your application. If you need this document in a different format please contact our careers team.
As a reputable employer regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, all offers of employment for this role are subject to a series of background checks, including criminal (DBS) and financial checks.
Please note we may withdraw this vacancy once sufficient applications have been reached.