Job title – Lead Data Engineer
Location – Manchester – Opportunity for remote working
Salary: Competitive + Benefits
35 hours per week, full time
About the role:
As a Lead Data Engineer, you will have the responsibility to lead a team of engineers, developing best practice and designing/delivering data processing and data persistence solutions, which handle data at scale. Working in an agile environment, you will have the opportunity to work across many products and liaise with senior stakeholders in Digital and across the bank, acting as the subject matter expert for our Data Landscape.
If you have strong experience in leading development teams in a large complex environment, with extensive experience of Data technologies & frameworks, design and development of large, scale, high performance applications then this might be the perfect opportunity for you!
* Technical Lead for the data development team in delivering high quality, robust and testable code that meets our coding standards policies
* Design solutions in accordance with the banks design principles and conventions and actively engage and collaborate on application design best practices and champion change in this area
* Act as a subject matter expert for Data Solutions across the Retail bank
* Accountable for efficiency-focused design that serves to ensure that all code is highly reusable and modular
* Mentor colleagues providing advice and guidance on best practice and development techniques
* Exercise key risk controls
* Identify and communicate technical requirements
* Create and maintain solution documentation, coding & implementation standards
* Communicate with suppliers on software related issues, suggested improvements and participating with other users in the relevant software communities
* Work within Scrum methodology, communicating any identified risks and issues to the Product Owner / Scrum Master accordingly
* Supporting the Operational Teams during the testing, rollout phases and incident/problem mgmt.
* Computer Science or similar degree level qualifications or equivalent relevant industry experience
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
* Strong experience leading development teams in a large complex environment
* Extensive experience of software delivery, design and development of large scale, high-volume secure websites and applications
* Extensive experience of software development with distribute data processing technologies including Oracle, Mongo, Kafka, Hadoop and analytics platforms
* Extensive experience of NFRs for ETL/ELT data processing pipelines such as robustness, performance and security. Development incorporates design, code and defect resolution and includes setting the standards for these activities.
* Analytics implementation experience for web applications and mobile (Tealium, Adobe, Google Analytics, mobile SDK)
* Successful deployment of multiple large-scale data processing solutions
* Knowledge of RDBMS and NoSQL data stores and working with a variety of structures including JSON and XML
* Data visualisation and complex data transforms
* Streaming and event processing technologies such as Kafka and Change-Data-Capture (CDC) products
* Knowledge and experience of software design principles & practices, e.g. SOLID
* Test Driven Development (TDD)
* Docker Containers and any container management platforms, e.g. Kubernetes
* Knowledge of Cloud platforms, serverless architecture preferable
* Solid knowledge of DevOps principles as applied to software build, deploy, test automation
* Agile/DevOps software development environment experience
* Good written / verbal communication skills with the ability to present technical details to a non-technical audience
What You Can Expect From Us:
* Flexible and remote working
* 27 days holiday, plus opportunity to buy 5 extra days
* Competitive pension / income protection / life assurance
* Positive, friendly work culture that promotes work life balance
* Commitment from employers on continued learning & development
* Wellbeing support ‘Help@Hand’ offers mental health support, physiotherapy, GP’s for both you and your family.
* 2 paid days for volunteering per year
* ‘MyReward’ corporate discount for over 800 retailers and Cycle to Work Scheme.
* Family friendly policies and supportive working environment
* Recognition scheme and a culture in which we celebrate success
* Colleague network groups committed to inclusion and diversity within our Bank.
This role won’t be around for long, so we would advise to get your application to us as soon as possible by applying today. Unfortunately, we can only consider candidates with the right to work in the UK at this time.
Our Bank is committed to continuing to create a diverse workforce and an inclusive environment where all colleagues can fulfil their potential. We welcome applications from talented individuals from all backgrounds and lifestyles who can work with us in maintaining a culture of belonging, where people are valued and respected. If you have a disability as defined by the 2010 equality act please let us know on your application.
As a reputable employer regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, all offers of employment for this role are subject to a series of background checks, including criminal (DBS) and financial checks.
Please note we may withdraw this vacancy once sufficient applications have been reached