Role title – Senior Software Engineer (Mainframe Centre of Excellence)
Skelmersdale / Working from home
Salary: Up to £55,000 (depending on experience)
35 hours, full time (We will also consider applications from candidates looking for flexible hours / work part time / condensed 4 day week)
As a Senior Software Engineer in the Mainframe Centre of Excellence team you will be working at the heart of our core banking platform. You will be designing, building and supporting applications that underpin our Retail and SME customer products, and functionality that is fundamental to the running of the Bank such as our payments engine. Alongside tried and trusted coding methods you’ll also be working with some of the latest integration technologies in support of our Digital customer channels. You'll also be part of a team of passionate and quality-focussed professionals in the size of organisation where your actions and attitude can make a real difference for our colleagues and customers.
* Leading the technical analysis and design of software changes for applications on the mainframe through the detailed design, build and unit test project phases
* Building a technical understanding of multiple applications running on the mainframe to be able to provide subject matter expert support for live incidents and technical queries.
* Provide support and incident fix expertise, following ITIL principles and maintaining effective change control process. Remembering at all times that our customers are at the core of everything we do – service is paramount!
* Able to act on the Bank’s behalf as a technical lead and “informed purchaser” on third party development and support activities
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
* Strong experience of IBM mainframe development (COBOL/CICS), ideally within a Financial Services organisation
* Experience in leading others and working with 3rd parties in order to achieve timely and quality software change and incident resolution
* Ability and confidence to effectively challenge others constructively, where necessary.
* Excellent problem solving and prioritisation skills
* Understanding of mainframe integration patterns with other technologies and systems and the ability to both understand technical code and processes both as workflow diagram and to conceptualise it as a solution. Knowledge of CICS webservices would be an advantage.
* A good track record in training and coaching individuals on development and delivery disciplines and / or support and incident resolution disciplines
* Good written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present technical details to a non-technical audience.
What You Can Expect From Us:
- 27 days holiday at start, rising to 30 days
- Competitive pension / income protection / life assurance
- 2 paid days for volunteering per year
- Positive working environment in contemporary offices
- Strong career path within Financial Services
- Family friendly policies and supportive working environment
- Recognition scheme and a culture in which we celebrate success
- Colleague network groups committed to inclusion and diversity within our Bank.
Our Bank is committed to continuing to create a diverse workforce and an inclusive environment where all colleagues can fulfil their potential. We welcome applications from talented individuals from all backgrounds and lifestyles who can work with us in maintaining a culture of belonging, where people are valued and respect
As a reputable employer regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, all offers of employment for this role are subject to a series of background checks, including criminal (DBS) and financial checks.