Job title – Lead Software Engineer (Back-End)
Location – Manchester – Opportunity for remote working
Salary: Competitive + Benefits
35 hours per week, full time
About the role:
As a Lead Software Engineer you will have the responsibility to lead a team of software developers, developing best practice and delivering server-side solutions for our customer channels, building new features API’s for new services & platforms. Working in an Agile environment, you will have the opportunity to work across many products and liaise with senior stakeholders in Digital and across the bank, acting as the subject matter expert for our Java applications.
If you have strong experience in leading development teams in a large complex environment, with extensive experience of Java & associated technologies & frameworks, design and development of large, scale, highly performance Java applications then this might be the perfect opportunity for you!
* Technical Lead for the back-end software development team in delivering high quality, robust and testable code that meets our coding standards policies
* Design solutions in accordance with the banks design principles and conventions and actively engage and collaborate on application design best practices
* Act as a subject matter expert for Java based applications across the bank
* Accountable for efficiency-focused design that serves to ensure that all code is highly reusable and modular
* Mentor colleagues providing advice and guidance on best practice and development techniques
* Exercise key risk controls
* Identify and communicate technical requirements
* Create and maintain solution documentation and coding standards
* Communicate with suppliers on software related issues, suggested improvements and participating with other users in the relevant software communities
* Work within Scrum methodology, communicating any identified risks and issues to the Product Owner / Scrum Master accordingly
* Supporting the Operational Teams during the testing, rollout phases and incident/problem mgmt.
* Computer Science or similar degree level qualifications or equivalent relevant industry experience
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
* Strong experience leading development teams in a large complex environment
* Extensive experience of design and development of large scale, high-volume secure websites
Extensive Java experience (Java, JEE)*
Extensive experience with Object Oriented Design (OOD)*
* Spring framework
* Spring-boot preferable
* Knowledge and experience of software design principles & practices, e.g. SOLID
* Test Driven Development (TDD)
Java build tools (Maven, Gradle*)
Any git based source repository (GitLab, Github, BitBucket*)
* Docker Containers and any container management platforms, e.g. Kubernetes
* Cloud platforms, serverless architecture preferable
* Solid knowledge of DevOps principles as applied to software build, deploy, test automation
* Experience working in an Agile/DevOps software development environment
* The aptitude to contribute to the evolution of methodologies and procedures in a controlled manner to continually improve a rapid and repeatable delivery channel
* Ability to challenge working practices and to recommend alternative ways of working using different techniques and matching developer skills to development activity
* A track record in training and mentoring individuals on development and delivery disciplines
* Ability to identify skills and knowledge gaps in others and to provide workable training and development opportunities for individuals to improve their personal skills and remove key person dependencies across the team
What You Can Expect From Us:
* Flexible and remote working
* 27 days holiday, plus opportunity to buy 5 extra days
* Competitive pension / income protection / life assurance
* Commitment from employers on continued learning & development
* Wellbeing support ‘Help at Hand’ offers mental health support, physiotherapy, GP’s for both you and your family.
* ‘MyReward’ corporate discount for over 800 retailers and Cycle to Work Scheme.
* Family friendly policies and supportive working environment
* Recognition scheme and a culture in which we celebrate success
* Colleague network groups committed to inclusion and diversity within our Bank.
Unfortunately, we can only consider candidates with the right to work in the UK at this time.
Our Bank is committed to continuing to create a diverse workforce and an inclusive environment where all colleagues can fulfil their potential. We welcome applications from talented individuals from all backgrounds and lifestyles who can work with us in maintaining a culture of belonging, where people are valued and respected. If you have a disability as defined by the 2010 equality act please let us know on your application.
As a reputable employer regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, all offers of employment for this role are subject to a series of background checks, including criminal (DBS) and financial checks.